Fruity Victoria Sponge
This is a cake recipe that you will return to time and again. It's a lovely cake with an even crumb, even rise and not too dry around the edges with a light and airy texture.
For the Sponge
|225g||Silver Spoon caster sugar|
|4||Eggs (at room temperature)|
|225g||Self-raising white flour|
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (160°C fan, gas mark 5). Grease and line 2 x 8" sandwich tins.
- Break eggs into a bowl, add the sugar, flour, baking powder and butter and mix until combined.
- Divide the mixture evenly between the tins, place in the middle of the oven, bake for 25 minutes until golden.
- Whip the cream in a bowl, until it forms firm peaks then spread one sponge with ½ of the cream. Scatter over ½ the berries.
- Place the second layer of sponge on top, spread the remaining cream in a small circle in the centre and arrange the remaining berries on top. Cover with cling film carefully and put it in the fridge to chill. Dust with icing sugar before serving.
Recipes using Caster Sugar on Baking Mad
Proudly grown in Britain
We work directly with British farmers in the East of England to grow our sugar beet. The sugar beet travels on average no more than 28 miles from field to factory.Read our Field to Spoon journey